Thursday, April 30, 2009

McCall Stays

McCall Stays

Official announcement
http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~1643927,00.html

"The Monday after Dagenham I was almost certainly gone," McCall told the club's official website. "But I've spoken to a lot of people since to get a level of perspective and the support I've received from the fans has been humbling.

It's been an emotional time but to top it off and sway my mind was the club's decision to cut back the budget. I didn't want to be seen as walking away from the challenge.

"Since last Monday it's ebbed and flowed but meeting Mark (Lawn) and Julian (Rhodes) made my mind up."


BTW 2009/2010 fixtures to be released June 17th


===========================

Other reaction

T&A
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/4333166.McCall_remains_as_City_boss/

BfB
http://www.boyfrombrazil.co.uk/2009/04/30/stuart-stays/

YP
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/BREAKING-NEWS-Bradford-City-manager39s.5223319.jp

BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/bradford_city/8022524.stm

Bradford City manager Stuart McCall has decided to stay at the League Two club.

The 44-year-old had been discussing his future over the past few days after initially saying he would leave if they did not reach the play-offs.

The former Scotland and Bantams midfielder will also be taking a pay cut, as the club seeks to reduce its overall costs.

McCall is due to meet with eight players on Thursday to discuss their current contracts with the club.

He must make "substantial" budget cuts next season if he decides to stay on at the club.

It is thought as much as a third of the League Two side's £1.9m player budget will need to be cut.

Bradford's budget is one of the highest in League Two but failure to make the play-offs means savings have to be made ahead of the new campaign.

That means that some of the top earners at the club are sure to move on, while the future of some of the coaching staff could also be in doubt.

Eighteen of the current squad are out of contract in the summer so it could be a very different Bradford side next season.

Joint chairman Mark Lawn told the Telegraph & Argus: "Stuart is facing some strong decisions. That's why he wants to talk to the players first before announcing anything about himself.

"He has got to talk to some of the players on two-year contracts. With the budget how it's going to be, if we kept them all we'd only have about six players.

"We wouldn't be able to afford any more pros, only kids - and that would be a recipe for disaster.

"Decisions have to be made and Stuart needs to talk to certain players to make them realise the situation."

The former Scotland international made his threat to leave in March after the Bantams' 4-1 away defeat by Bournemouth.

Because of a poor end to the season, which has seen McCall's side win just one in 10 games, Bradford will finish outside the play-offs.

Fans held up a 'Save our Stuart' banner during the 3-0 win over Rotherham and local figures, including sports minister and Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe, have also voiced their support.
 



===========================
  Community Sunday May 3 2009

Come to Valley Parade this Sunday to enjoy a Fun Day out for all the family.

There will be the usual mix of football on the pitch and entertainment in
the Banqueting Suites from 9.00am to 5.00 pm. Entrance is FREE. Many
thanks to the Cooperative Group for sponsoring the event once again this
year.

The local Schools and junior clubs five-a-side tournaments will take place
from 9.00 am to 11.00 am and from 1.00 pm to 2.00 pm. The main game on the
big pitch kicks off at 3.00 pm between Manningham All Stars and Thackley
Reserves.

Singers and dancers from BRADfactor entertainment will be in action from
11.00am to 1.30 pm, and over fifty arts and craft, leisure and information
stalls will be open from 10.00 to 3.00 pm in the Banqueting suites at
Valley Parade. Plus Hair braiding, Henna, Face Painting, Bouncy Castles
and Go-Carts for all the family.

COME AND ENJOY!


===========================
Deal me in, pleads Nix


Feisty Kyle Nix is pleading to beat the Valley Parade axe so he can
make up for a season of frustration.

Nix is one of the 18 City players who are sweating on their future as
contracts run out.

It has been a tough second year for the battling midfielder, who has
featured only sporadically after an impressive debut campaign.

But he reacted to a surprise call-up against Rotherham with a typically
all-action effort and is hoping that will convince the club he is worth
another deal.

Nix said: "I've always given 100 per cent, whether I'm having a good
game or not. The gaffer and the other lads know that I'm going to give
it my all if it's in training or playing.

"That's what I tried to do last week. It's what I've done all season,
even when I've not been involved."

Stuart McCall will finally end the speculation about his own future
today but the question marks will remain over his squad as City look to
slash their budget for next season.

Despite his personal frustration, Nix remains firmly behind his manager
– and wants to show that support on the field.

He added: "I'd love to still be here but even if I'm not, I think all
the lads want the gaffer to give it at least another year.

"You can't buy his passion and desire. You can't just put that into
somebody else.

"That's why this season I've been a little frustrated. People see my
passion and desire and I want to give 100 per cent to this club.

"But obviously, for whatever reason, I've been overlooked. I'm not
complaining because that's football but it's hard to take.

"I don't think I've really done that much wrong to be left out in the
cold as much as I have. It's a big squad but I don't think I've been
given a chance."

Nix had not begun a game since the home draw with Dagenham in early
December. It was only his ninth start of the season – and 18th
appearance in total – compared with 44 outings last term, when he netted
eight goals.

He added: "Saturday was another opportunity to prove a point. But I feel
I've proved points quite a few times, like when I was being given
one-month contracts.

"People have done well to stay in the team and I've had to bide my time
but I was so glad to get my chance against Rotherham.

"It was also nice to get a good ovation from the fans when I went off.
It's something to remember if that was my last home game."

City could finish eighth – and possibly just two points behind the
play-off positions – if they sign off with a win over Chesterfield at
Saltergate. But the near-miss is scant consolation for Nix, who scored a
cracker in last season's 1-1 draw there.

He added: "With eight to ten games to go, I thought we would definitely
be in the play-offs.

"I just can't believe we're going into the Chesterfield match and both
teams are playing for nothing. I'm just baffled by it.

"Nobody can explain the run we've been on but it's not down to the
gaffer – everyone's got to look at themselves in the mirror.

"Whoever is still here next year, it's up to them to put it right."

No comments: